Massage therapy is widely used in all cultures to evoke feelings of deep relaxation and reduced anxiety. The anxiety-reducing and mood enhancing benefits of massage are probably related to changes in EEG activity, decreased levels of cortisol, and increased activity of the parasympathetic nervous system, which acts automatically to calm the body and brain during stress. Numerous studies show that moderate pressure massage is more effective than light pressure massage for reducing pain associated with different medical problems including fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. Moderate pressure massage also improves attention and enhances the body’s immune response by increasing the activity of natural killer cells. Functional brain imaging studies show that changes take place in many areas of the brain involved in regulating emotions and stress response including the amygdala and the hypothalamus. For an excellent review of the research evidence for massage therapy, see “Massage Therapy Research Review” by Field (Field 2014).
What are Mental Health Benefits of Massage Therapy?
Depression and Anxiety
Two of the most common mental health issues are depression and anxiety. Studies show the massage therapy has great impact in reducing symptoms, by activating the patients sympathetic nervous system helping reduce symptoms and improving their mood.
Hormone and Neurotransmitter Balance
Studies have shown that massage therapy can reduce stress hormone levels such as cortisol and activate neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine levels. In other words, massage therapy increases your feeling good in a mood and decreases your stress.
Blood Pressure and Circulation
Massage therapy helps with the reduction of your heart rate, improving blood circulation and high blood pressure.
- Relieve stress
- Relieve postoperative pain
- Reduce anxiety
- Manage low-back pain
- Help fibromyalgia pain
- Reduce muscle tension
- Enhance exercise performance
- Relieve tension headaches
- Sleep better
- Ease symptoms of depression
- Improve cardiovascular health
- Reduce pain of osteoarthritis
- Decrease stress in cancer patients
- Improve balance in older adults
- Decrease rheumatoid arthritis pain
- Temper effects of dementia
- Promote relaxation
- Lower blood pressure
- Decrease symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Help chronic neck pain
- Lower joint replacement pain
- Increase range of motion
- Decrease migraine frequency
- Improve quality of life in hospice care
- Reduce chemotherapy-related nausea
Massage Therapy Rates:
- 60 min $95
- 90 min $125
- Package of 4 – 60 min 5% discount
- Package of 6 – 60 min 10% discount